Cuban music direct from Cuba with Interactivo
On March 24, Cuba’s visionary all-star novísima trova band, Interactivo, made their first appearance ever in the United States at the Congo Square Rhythms Festival in New Orleans, Louisiana. Attendees enjoyed this opportunity to experience Havana’s top jazz, funk, r&b, traditional Cuban music group with 12 all-star performers including:
- Band leader Robertico Carcassés (piano)
- Oliver Valdés (drums)
- Carlos Ríos (bass)
- Adel González (percussion)
- Julito Padrón (vocals, trumpet)
- Juan Carlos Marin (trombone)
- William Vivanco (vocals and guitar)
- Francis del Rio (vocals)
- Melvis Estevez (vocals)
- Telmary (hip hop vocals)
Interactivo plays a blend of timba, the high energy Cuban style of salsa, and novísima trova, the latest incarnation of Cuban style troubadour songs, with funk, jazz, R&B and hip-hop.
On March 25, Interactivo's leader and visionary pianist Roberto Carcassés performed at Snug Harbor Jazz Bistro. One of the most prodigious musicians and producers of his generation, Carcassés has made an indelible contribution to fusion through his uniquely accented music.
Since graduating from the National School Of Arts in Havana in 1991, he has played on records that have shaped the landscape of contemporary music in Cuba, most notably Trampas Del Tiempo (Pavel y Gema) and Jazz Timbero (alongside his father, trumpet player Bobby Carcassés). He has collaborated with masters such as Chucho Valdés, Wynton Marsalis, George Benson and Gonzalito Rubalcaba.
His group this night consisted of members of his cutting edge Cuban group Interactivo. With a sound best characterized by "hybridization" Carcassés' group breaks down the aesthetic and cultural barricades that tend to separate certain genres and blends sounds taken from pure Cuban neighborhood music.
This project is supported by:
- Salsas por el Lago 124 Lake Marina Dr, New Orleans (504) 286-3057
- Churro's Cafe 3100 Kingman St, Metairie (504) 885-6516
- Taqueria Corona Uptown 5932 Magazine St (504) 897-3974
- Boo Koo BBQ 3701 Banks St (inside Finn McCools Bar) (504) 202-4741
- Coco Bamboo Pizzeria 3741 Jefferson Highway (504) 833-7054
- Cafe Rose Nicaud 632 Frenchmen St (504) 949-3300
- Family Ties Restaurant & Bar 3301 Bienville St (504) 267-3956
- Bittles with the Vittles (504) 606-4429
The CubaNOLA Arts Collective is supported in part by a grant from the Louisiana Division of the Arts, Office of Cultural Development, Department of Culture, Recreation & Tourism, in cooperation with the Louisiana State Arts Council. Funding has also been provided by the National Endowment for the Arts, a Federal agency.
FOR MORE INFORMATION EMAIL INFO@CUBANOLA.ORG